Greg Vail 2008 Bio
Saxophonist Greg Vail
Often defined as “…[playing with] raging action… stunningly rich… charismatic… totally engaging…”, saxophonist Greg Vail has established himself as a key component of the music industry.
Greg Vail has toured and recorded with some of the hottest names in the jazz, pop, and Christian music scenes including Rick Braun, Peter White, Greg Adams, Josh Groban, Petra, Crystal Lewis, Natalie Cole, Al Jarreau, Michael McDonald, Earth Wind and Fire, and Smokey Robinson. Over the last 30 years, Vail has also made appearances for everything from television and cable, BET Jazz, History, Fox News, TBN, to the national commercial for TimeLife Records promoting the renowned Sax by Candlelight and Sax by Moonlight CDs which sold in the millions worldwide.
Vail first picked up the saxophone at the age of six and continued to play throughout his education, graduating in 1984 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Music from Cal State Long Beach. After graduation, he worked with many local area bands until joining smooth jazz super group, Kilauea, in 1991. Vail recorded four albums with Kilauea before joining up with smooth jazz guitar sensation Peter White.
In 1995, Greg Vail released his debut solo record, eMotion on Brainchild Records. In 1996, when he left Kilauea, he recorded Sax by Candlelight for TimeLife. In 2000, Vail began his own record label, Greg Vail Music, and currently has five releases on the label including Christmas, the Hymns 2000, The Gospel Truth 2001, the re-release of eMotion 2002, Is It Christmas Yet? 2004, and The Gospel Truth Revisited 2006.
Scheduled for release in 2008, Smooth Jazz Classics on Greg Vail Music
Smooth Jazz Classics contains 13 tracks of favorite, classic instrumentals. Songs including Klemmer’s Touch, Grover’s Make Me a Memory, Affirmation, Feel’s So Good, Biggest Part of Me and more. Utilizing some of the hottest names in jazz, Vail and co-producer Tony Guerrero developed a fresh approach to these smooth standards, maintaining the heart of the originals while developing exciting arrangements and orchestrations and using the latest in recording technology. Favorite songs, amazing performances by a cast of world class musicians - Smooth Jazz Classics.
The band includes Tony Guerrero Keys and Brass, Gannin Arnold Guitar, and Melvin Davis Bass. Special guests include David Pack, Grant Geissman, Blake Aaron, Rob Whitlock, Steve Di Stanislao, Julio Figueroa, Wayne Bergeron, Keith Smith and Shannon Kennedy.
Greg Vail has been signed as a Yamaha Performing Artist for eighteen years; he also endorses the AKAI EWI, Audio Technica Wireless and KenKase Reed Cases.
In addition to his reputation as an artist/performer, Greg Vail has made a name for himself as an educator in the Internet world with dozens of educational music sites online and ongoing contributions to Forums, Blogs and News Groups. In his own words, “We have to learn all we can, and then give it away to ever really make a difference.”
Saxophonist Greg Vail has been a vital participant in the music industry over the last few decades and will continue to grow to be one of the most prolific musicians on the instrumental jazz scene. In the words of the national jazz author, Jonathan Widran, “Whether [he is] blowing a tenderly passionate soprano sax, firing up his exciting and playful alto, or edging into a more aggressive stance with his brilliant technique on tenor sax, Greg Vail is a show stopper nonpareil, and one of the most dynamic saxophone players on today’s instrumental scene.”
Contact Greg Vail
- P.O. Box 1661, Lake Forest, CA. 92609
- Email email@example.com
- Fax 949-837-2807
- Artist Site GregVail.com
Greg Vail CDs
Greg Vail Music Releases…
- "Christmas, The Hymns" - Greg Vail Music 2000
- "The Gospel Truth" - Greg Vail Music 2001
- "e-Motion" - Greg Vail Music 2002
- ”Is It Christmas Yet?” – Greg Vail Music 2004
- "The Gospel Truth Revisited" - Greg Vail Music 2006
- "Smooth Jazz Classics" - Greg Vail Music 2008
Other Greg Vail CDs
Also released as Leader…
- "e-Motion" - BrainChild Records, 1995
- "The Best Of Sax By Candlelight" - Time Life Music, 1996
- "Greg Vail, Sax By Candlelight" - Time-Life Music/BrainChild Records, 1996
- "Sax By Candlelight" - Time Life Music, 1996. (40 Songs on 2 discs)
- "Sax By Moonlight" (4 CD Box Set) - Delta Music Inc./Time Life Music released 1997
- 1."Unforgettable" - Delta Music, Inc.
- 2. "Just The Way You Are" - Delta Music, Inc.
- 3. "It Had To Be You" - Delta Music, Inc.
- 4. "Always On My Mind" - Delta Music, Inc.
- "Sax By Candlelight" - BMG & BMG Special Products, 1998
- "Moonlite Sax" - Private Label CD, 1998
- "Sax By Candlelight" - Heartland Music, 1998
Greg Vail Endorsements:
Yamaha Saxophones, Audio Technica Wireless, KenKase Reed Cases.
Greg's Woodwind Equipment includes:
- Yamaha YSS-62R Soprano Saxophone, Beechler medal 7 mouthpiece, with Rico Royal 2 ½ reeds.
- Yamaha YAS-875B Custom Alto Saxophone, Black Lacquered, silver M1 neck, Dave Guardala Bebop Traditional Alto Gold Plated Mouthpiece. Rico Plastic Cover 2 ½ reeds, Silver Yamaha thumb rest.
- Yamaha YTS-875B Custom Tenor Saxophone, Black Lacquered, silver F1 neck and gold G1 neck, Dave Guardala Custom (Crescent Tenor, more open) Gold Plated Mouthpiece, Rico Plastic Cover 2 ½ reeds, Oleg Gold thumb rest.
- Yamaha YBS-62 Baritone Saxophone, Jody Jazz 9* ESP mouthpiece, 4 Rico Plastic Cover reeds.
- Yamaha YCL-CSV Custom V-Series Clarinet, Rhueben Allen thin wall bronze 64m barrel, Jim Canter Custom mouthpiece, Vandoren Optimum ligature, Vandoren 4 reeds.
- Muramatzu Flute with wing tip head joint.
- Yamaha YPC-62 Wood Piccolo.
- Akai EWI 4000 Electronic Woodwind Instrument
Greg Vail Performance Credits
Josh Groban, Natalie Cole, Al Jarreau, Peter White, Rick Braun, John Tesh, Slim Man, Craig Chaquico, Dave Koz, Eric Marienthal, Warren Hill, Jeff Kashiwa, Boney James, Nestor Torres, Kirk Whalum, Gerald Albright, Everette Harp, Roger Smith, Freddie Ravel, Chris Standring, Native Vibe, Marc Antoine, Steve Reid's Bamboo Forest, Keiko Matsui, Guitar & Saxes (with Richard Elliot), Patrick Yandall, Brian Bromberg, Rob Mullins, Jeff Golub, Brian Culbertson, Diane Schuur, Grant Geissman, Wilton Felder, Marion Meadows, Scott Wilkie, Lenny Castro, Tony Guerrero, Smokey Robinson, Al Stewart, The Coasters, The Drifters, & The Platters. At a Guns and Roses after party Greg even performed with Slash, Billy Idol, and Andrew Dice Clay.
Greg Vail Sax HOME I NEXT
Greg Vail Bio
Greg Vail Recording Credits - as Leader
Greg Vail Recording Credits – Jazz CDs
Greg Vail Recording Credits – Contemporary Christian & Gospel CDs
Equipment & Endorsements
Greg Vail Reviews and Critical Praise
Greg Vail Has Played With...
SITE MAP for GregVail.com